Thursday, December 24, 2015

Roosters, dogs and Hoi An


Monday night going into Tuesday I spent the night on an overnight train from Saigon to Da Nang, which is the nearest train station to Hoi An, where I am now. I was in a so called "soft sleeper" meaning there were only 4 beds in each compartment. Despite being the most expensive option in the train I swore at various times of the night I hear a rooster crowing and a dog barking.  And I wasn't the only one. 
Hoi An is known as the Lantern City

Finally arrived in Hoi An, I checked into my hotel, freshened up and went out to find some lunch, a tailor and go to the spa. Because the spa was a must after that night of train travel.  At the tailors I ended up getting a suit, 2 shirts and a more party type skirt. 


Headed back after my spa appointment for some well wanted rest.  Upon rising this morning I had some breakfast of Cao Lau, which is a Hoi An specialty, for breakfast at my hotel. 

Then I went off to explore the city. Hoi An has many Chinese influences, so I could have sworn I was in China and not Hoi An. Too familiar to other stuff I had seen from both within Guangdong and the LingNan architecture and other areas of China. Not surprising since most overseas Chinese originally came from the southeastern areas. 




 Post this it was back to the tailors for a fitting. It was quite funny, you put on the clothes and the women there basically descended on you like a flock of bees/mosquitos that started pulling at the clothes in various areas with bits of thread and tailor's chalk.

Then it was off to a night time street food tour on the back of a Vespa. It was good. I enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment