Sunday, December 20, 2015

Cu Chi Tunnels and a water puppet show

Yesterday I booked a trip out to the Cu Chi Tunnels.

 In the Vietnam war these tunnels caused the US troops immense troubles. The troops ended up using Agent Orange to destroy the jungle that was above the tunnels, which as a result has caused innumerable health problems among the local population. Agent orange is odorless and tasteless so the people didn't know when they were imbibing it or eating it.


The Vietnamese government has enlarged the tunnels since the locals built the tunnels as a) tourists are much bigger than the locals and b) we probably wouldn't want to crawl on our bellies through the tunnels.




In addition we were shows destroyed US tanks, samples of daily life, booby traps, and to top it off a propaganda film from 1966 that was black and white and grainy.


After that I headed back to the city, had a Banh mi and took an afternoon nap as the travel is catching up with me.


After an afternoon nap, I headed out to a Water Puppet show which I had booked through my hotel.





From there I decided to get a foot massage and then it was back to the hotel to pack and sleep. Heading on a day trip to the Mekong Delta today and then it's a night spent on a train between here and Danang where I will get off to visit Hoi An. 

No comments:

Post a Comment